|1.||Whisk together flour and salt in a pie plate. Dredge smelt in flour mixture, coating both the outside and cavity of the fish.|
|2.||Heat oil in a frying pan 1/4-inch deep over medium heat until hot. Place fish in the hot oil; fry until crisp and firm, 2 to 3 minutes each side. Remove fish with a slotted spoon; drain on a paper towel-lined plate.|
- 1/2 lb fish fillet, of Smelts which is the name of a family of silvery fishes found in cool waters of the Northern Hemis
- 2/3-1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- oil or Crisco (for frying)
- Place flour in gallon or quart size storage bag add fish shake to coat.
- Mix egg and milk together and dip fish to coat. Then reflour the fish.
- In a large hot pan add frying oil or Crisco to cover bottom of pan, heat oil then place fish in till browned on one side flip and brown. About 2 minutes.
- Remove to paper towel or brown paper to drain oil season generously with salt and pepper and garnish if desired with lemon.