- 3 kg watermelon, peeled and seeds removed
- 5 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 60 g ginger, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 4 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 pinches cayenne pepper
- fish sauce, to taste
- lime juice, to taste
- 1 1/2 kg or 10 tubes squid
- 150 g meat from crab claws
- 200 g basmati rice
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 200 ml water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 bunches coriander, finely chopped, to garnish
Method1. To make the curry; liquidise 2 1/2 kg of the watermelon in a blender or food processor.
2. Dice the remaining watermelon and set aside.
3. Heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan and when hot, gently cook the onions, ginger and garlic until soft.
4. Add the chillies, lemon grass and spices and cook for a further minute, or until fragrant.
5. Add the liquidised watermelon juice, bring to the boil, and then simmer until reduced by half.
6. Once reduced, flavour with about 2 tablespoons fish sauce and lime juice to taste.
7. To prepare the seafood; heat half the remaining oil in a large frying pan and when hot, season the squid and crab and cook for 2 minutes on each side.
8. Heat the remaining oil. Season the squid with salt and pepper and fry over a high heat for 3 minutes.
9. Add the squid, crabmeat, coriander and diced watermelon to the curry and heat through.
10. To make the rice; wash the rice in cold water until the water runs clear.
11. Place the rice, coconut milk, water and salt in a large pan.
12. Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil.
13. Cover the pan and reduce the heat. Simmer gently for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, leave covered for 5 minutes, then 'fluff' with a fork.
14. Serve the watermelon curry with the coconut rice and garnish with coriander sprigs.
Recipe Source: uktv.co.uk (recipe source has a conversion calculator due to metric measurements)