Fish with Polenta and Mushrooms: Merluzzo con Polenta e Funghi
Cook Time: 40 minutesYield: 4 Servings
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup stone ground white cornmeal
- Unsalted butter
- Full flavored extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces mixed wild mushrooms washed and dried
- Quick mixing instant flour
- 4 (6 ounce) pieces cod
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 15 year old balsamic vinegar
- Combine the milk, water, and cornmeal in a medium sized saute pan.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly with a whisk until the mixture thickens (approximately 1/2 hour).
- After removing from the heat stir in 1-teaspoon butter and 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- In a saute pan, cook the mushrooms over high heat with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter for 3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1-tablespoon olive oil in a saute pan.
- Lightly flour the cod with the instant flour.
- Place the fish in the pan and add 1-tablespoon butter.
- Cook for 3 minutes and then turn over.
- Place the pan in a 400-degree F oven for 2 minutes to finish cooking the fish.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place a small mound of the polenta in the center of the plate.
- Place the cod directly on top of the polenta.
- Spread some of the mushrooms around the fish and drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar around the edge of the plate.