· 1 wine cork
· 2 tbsp vinegar
· 4 tbsp Doris Own Extra Virgin olive oil
· 1 medium red onion, chopped into 1/4inch dice
· 1 bunch fresh thyme, leaves only, about 2 tablespoons
· 1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed and seeded, chopped into 1 ¼ inch dice
· 1 cup dry white wine
· 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped into 1 ¼ inch dice and 3/4 cup
· 2 lemons cut into wedges
- Place scungilli in a pot and cover with water. Add a wine cork and 2 tablespoons vinegar and boil 1 hour until tender. Drain and cool. Slice into 1 ¼ inch rounds and set aside.
- In a tall sauce pan (6 to 8 quarts), heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, thyme leaves and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add wine, tomato pieces and scungilli and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve in shallow bowls with lemon wedges.