- 2 cup calamari sliced into rings (use tubes and tentacles)
- 2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- Oil, for frying
- 2 tbsp whole butter
- 3/4 cup sliced mild banana peppers
- 3/4 cup large diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Clean and soak calamari in buttermilk for 2 hours before cooking. Drain well in a large mixing bowl.
- Season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge calamari with flour until each ring separates easily from others. Put in sifter and shake off excess flour.
- Heat oil and fry calamari until golden brown. Do not overcook.
- Start with 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. When butter is melted, add peppers and tomatoes. Deglaze with lemon juice. Add remaining butter and scallions. Toss.
- Add calamari and toss. Serve