Serves 6 to 8
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 4 pounds red potatoes
- 2 medium garlic bulbs, roasted
- 1 16oz container sour cream
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cooke the bacon in a large skillet until crisp.
- Drain in paper towels, reserving 2 tbsp of drippings in the skillet. Crumble to bacon and return it to the skillet. Add green onions. Cook 1 minute or until green onions are tender. Set aside.
- Peel half the potatoes and cut the other half into ¼ in. pieces.
- Cooke peeled and unpeeled potatoes in boiling salted water 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Add roasted garlic pulp, bacon mixture, sour cream, 1 cup cheddar cheese, butter, milk, and salt.
- Mash with potato masher until blended.
- Spoon into a lightly oiled 9 x 13in baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degree F for 10 minutes or until cheese melts.