Leek & Pecorino Pizza
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 1/2 pounds Doris' pizza dough, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Doris' Own extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 large leeks, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound ground lamb (ground fresh in our meat department)
- 32 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 pound truffled pecorino cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 500°.
- Heat a pizza stone on the bottom of the oven for 45 minutes. (Alternatively, heat a large inverted baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven for 5 minutes.)
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each piece of dough to a 7-inch round.
- Oil 3 large baking sheets and place the dough rounds on the sheets.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil.
- Add the leeks, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 8 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet.
- Add the lamb, season with salt and pepper and cook until no pink remains, about 5 minutes.
- Generously flour a pizza peel.
- Place a dough round on the peel and brush with olive oil.
- Top with some of the leeks, lamb, tomatoes and pecorino cheese.
- Slide the dough round onto the hot stone or baking sheet and bake for about 4 minutes, until bubbling and crisp.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients and serve.
This pizza goes well with a light, spicy Oregon Pinot Noir