- 1 pound beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into ½ in pieces
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion, chipped
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp instant beef bouillon granules
- 1 14oz can tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- 1 pumpkin (10 to 12 pounds)
- 2 to 3 tbsp oil
- In a dutch oven, brown the meat in 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add the water, potatoes, carrots, green pepper, garlic, onion, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Stir in bouillon and tomatoes.
- Wash the pumpkin: cut a 6 to 8 inch circle around the top stem. Remove top and set aside: discard seeds and loose fibers from inside.
- Place pumpkin in a shallow sturdy baking pan. Spoon stew into pumpkin and replace the top.
- Brush outside of pumpkin with remaining oil. Bake at 325 degrees F for 2 hours or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Serve stew from pumpkin, scooping out a little pumpkin with each serving.