Serves 4 to 6
- 1 medium pumpkin (make sure it will fit in your oven)
- 2 to 4 cups long grain or Spanish rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 28oz can tomatoes
- 1 16oz can cut green beans
- 1 16oz pkg shredded mozzarella
- 1 16oz pkg shredded cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the top off the pumpkin, and remove the seeds and fibers.
- To make the casserole, cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and brown the ground beef and sausage; drain well and set the meat aside.
- Sauté the onions in the same skillet. Stir the meat with the onions.
- To fill the pumpkin, layer the ingredients with rice, meat mixture, tomatoes, green beans, and the cheeses. Repeat this process 3 times ending with the cheeses.
- Place the lid back on top of the pumpkin and put it on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 2 ½ to 3 hours. Once the pumpkin is soft, its ready to eat.