Every year in Apulia 33 million pounds of fava beans are harvested and transformed into antipasti, side dishes, and soups.” The traditional country dish par excellence is a puree of fava beans (pure’ di fave e cicoria) served with sautéed wild chicory called ‘ncapriata.
Puree of Fava Beans and Chicory
- 1.5 Kg fresh fava beans, shelled
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt, at taste
- 1 kg fresh chicory
- Bring half a quart of salted water to a boil and add the fava beans.
- Boil until tender, and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a quart of salted water to a boil, add the chicory and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain thoroughly.
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the fava beans and, if necessary, add salt at taste.
- Mash with a wooden spoon in order to obtain a coarse puree. Place in a bowl and add a bunch of chicory.
- Season with oil and salt at taste.