Serves 4 to 6
This mango sorbet is a luxurious, refreshing finish to any meal and has the added bonus of being easy to make—even if you don’t have an ice cream maker.
- 3 fresh mangos, peeled and pureed in blender (about 2 cups) or 16 ounces frozen mango pulp
- 1/2 cup simple syrup
- Toasted coconut for garnish
Directions: (Ice Cream Maker)
- Make sure the mango pulp and the simple syrup (2 cups water and 1 cup sugar brought to boil and simmered until sugar has dissolved; chill) are well-chilled.
- Pour into ice cream freezer and proceed according to manufacturers directions.
- To serve, scoop small portions into glasses and garnish with toasted coconut.
Directions: (No ice cream maker)
- Pour pulp/simple syrup mixture into metal 8- by 8-inch cake pan.
- Place in freezer.
- After 30 minutes, scrape ice crystals up with fork and return to freezer.
- Continue to freeze and scrape until the entire pan is slushy and icy.
- To serve, spoon scraped ice into glasses, top with toasted coconut and serve.
To toast coconut:
- Spread sweetened coconut in an even layer on a baking sheet and place in 350 degree oven.
- Stir every 5 minutes until toasted, about 15 minutes, but keep a close watch; it goes from toasted to burned quickly.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.