Total preparation and cooking time: 2-1/4 hours (Makes 6 servings)
- 4 pounds veal cross cut shanks, cut 1-1/2 inches thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can (14-1/2 to 16 ounces) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- In Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until hot. Add veal shanks, 1/3 at a time, and brown evenly, turning occasionally; add remaining 1 tablespoon oil as needed. Remove shanks from pan; season with salt.
- Add onion, carrot and crushed garlic to pan; cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, wine and basil. Return shanks to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until veal is tender.
- Meanwhile in small bowl, combine gremolata ingredients; set aside.
- Remove shanks to warm platter. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Cook liquid over high heat until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Spoon approx. 3/4 cup sauce over shanks. Sprinkle shanks with gremolata; serve with remaining sauce.
COOK’S TIP: Veal cross cut shanks may be tied with string to help retain shape, if desired. To prepare in oven, use tightly covered Dutch oven or roasting pan. After shanks are added to tomato mixture, cook in preheated 325o oven; cooking time remains the same.
Nutrition information per serving: 262 calories; 29 g protein; 10 g carbohydrate; 10 g fat; 2 mg iron; 661 mg sodium; 100 mg cholesterol. (source: vealmadeeasy.com)