Dark Chocolate & Mint Brownies (Gluten-Free)
Yield: 24 (2x3 inch) squares
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
Shelf-Life: at least 3-4 days when stored in air-tight containers
These dense minty chocolate brownies are great treats because they look so rich & decadent yet they are gluten-free. Dissolving cocoa in hot water before baking enhances the flavor.
- Butter to grease 2 (8 x 12 inch) pans
- 1.5 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 cups boiling water
- 6 cups (1.5 lbs) walnut pieces
- 2.25 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 9 large eggs
- 9oz. unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons peppermint extract
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons confectioner's sugar for dusting
- Place rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease pans, line bottoms with wax paper or parchment paper, and then grease again; set aside.
- Dissolve cocoa in boiling water; set aside. Meanwhile, combine walnuts & brown sugar in a food processor and process into a very fine meal.
- Add eggs, butter, peppermint extract & salt and process 30-40 seconds. Scrape down sides of the bowl, add dissolved cocoa, and process another 30 seconds or until mixture is thoroughly blended. Scrape batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack, cut around edge with a sharp knife to loosen, then invert pans and discard the paper liner. Cut each batch into 12 squares about 2 x 3 inches. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Nutritional Data (per portion):
- Calories: 360
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- Sodium: 25mg
- Fat: 30g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g