Spinach, Mushroom & Cheddar Quiche
- Yield: 3 quiches; each with 8(5oz.) slices
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 1 hour unattended baking
- Shelf-life: 1 day
Quiche is a perennial favoritefor lunch or a light dinner. In this version, the crust is made with cornmeal scented witha touch of thyme. You can fill it with any number of savory ingredients, including spinach, mushrooms, onions & cheddar cheese, as it is here. When rolling out the crust, it helps to keep gluten-free flour handy for dusting your workspace.
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1lb. fine cornmeal (about 3 cups)
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 6oz. unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 3 large eggs beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Gluten-free flour for dusting
- 3 tablespoons vegatable oil
- 9oz. chopped yellow onions
- 1.25lbs. white mushrooms, wiped, trimmed & sliced
- 2lbs. frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 3 cups light cream or milk
- 12 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5lbs. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 3 (9inch) Pyrex pie plates with vegetable spray.
- Combine cornmeal, salt & thyme in a food processor and pulse to mix. Add butter & pulse until it resembles fine meal. Pour in eggs & process until mixture draws together into a ball. Remove & divide into 3 equal balls.
- On a lightly floured workspace or pastry cloth, roll each ball into an 11 inch circle. Fit each into a pie plate, folding edges back & crimping them.
- Bake crusts for 10-12 minutes to set.
- Prepare the filling: Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions & sauté until golden, 3-4 minutes; add mushrooms & sauté until wilted, stirring often. Cool slightly; stir in spinach.
- In a large bowl, beat cream or milk, eggs, mustard, thyme, salt & pepper together. Stir in cheese & mushroom spinach mixture.
- Ladle filling into the crusts, return to oven & bake for about 50-55 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove.
Nutritional Data: (per 5oz. portion)
Dietary Fiber: 3g