“SCREEN PASS” CHICKEN & SAUSAGE CHILI
recipe developed by The Clever Cleaver Brothers®
- 1/2 pound Doris' Own Italian sausage
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup ½-inch diced Spanish onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup ½-inch diced red pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapenos (without seeds)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 cups Cento chicken broth (available in Low Sodium)
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce
- 1 cup white beans, drained
- 1 cup chili beans, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2. Rinse the chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Cut the chicken breasts in half
lengthwise, and cut across in thin strips.
3. When ready to prepare the chili, heat the chicken broth in a saucepan or in the microwave and hold for
4. Heat a 2-quart stock pot over medium heat and add the sausage crumbles. Sauté crumbles until 3/4
cooked and add the chicken slices. Combine.
5. When the chicken is 3/4 cooked add onion, garlic, red pepper and jalapenos. Continue cooking until the
chicken is done and stir in the chili powder. Cook for 1 minute.
6. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Don’t let this flour mixture (roux) burn.
7. Add the hot chicken broth and Hot Sauce. Combine.
8. Add the white beans, chili beans, salt and pepper. Combine and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve and